Sunday, December 1, 2013

Arms Trade Treaty? What?


My stepfather is a proud member of the NRA. He does not take one side of the fence over the other, meaning he is not full-blown Republican, nor Democrat. You might as well call him a Republican when it comes to his guns and his gun rights, however. He was telling me about the Arms Trade Treaty a couple weeks back and I was surprised I had not heard much about it. When I say I had not heard much about it, I mean I had not heard of it at all. So, I had to do a little researching of course. He made it seem like it was an attack on our 2nd amendment rights. That is probably what most Americans view it as.

This article on Fox News has a quick, 5-minute video that gives an overview. I encourage you to watch it if you have time. 

Basically, what I have gathered from the information is, the treaty is an agreement to keep firearms from getting into the wrong hands internationally. Most view this as relinquishing individual rights to bear arms. I, myself, do not own a gun. I am rightfully afraid of them, but I do not believe we should have to question if we will have that right in the foreseeable future. 

Senator John Kerry stirred up a big pot of controversy when he signed the U.N. Treaty on America's behalf. Luckily, a few weeks later, this article was published. 

Senator Jerry Moran and Senator Joe Manchin wrote a letter signed by 48 of their colleagues that duly notes the Senate would not be ratifying such a decision in the foreseeable future. What a relief! Tucker, the Fox News correspondent, did mention that the NRA is the Republican organization that has the 2nd amendment tightly secured and did not see this budging anytime soon.

The question is: Is there a growing possibility the 2nd amendment will be taken away? What is society's opinion on the matter? What is the media leaving out?



No comments:

Post a Comment